Tag Archives: base

Additional washing method: Suint Fermentation

Greenland Gown Project

This method was brought to my attention today by one of my facebook followers.

A more indepth explanation is located on mozfiberlife.wordpress.com

Here is a brief explanation:

The basis of the science behind this, is the concentration of the potassium salts from the fatty acids excreted by the suint glands. The suint is alkali in makeup and combines with the fats in the fleece to make a soap. The mention of rain water is very important. Rainwater is soft and soaps works best in soft water. The drawback to this method is that it has a considerable soak time and depending on the greasiness of the fleece, you may still have to do a hot water/detergent wash.

Be well,

Doreen

What to wash your fleece in

Greenland Gown Project

This week I am going to discuss the use of varying substances for washing and conditioning raw fleece for use in fiber production, mainly that of yarn. I hope you will find information of use in the post. Please do not hesitate to comment and share your own methods. This is a fascinating subject because of the multitudes of methods I have found over the past few years.

Why Wash Raw Fleece?

Because it is full of mud/dirt, vegetable matter, grease, and smell. I have found that my washed fleece works much better with the extra fine combs I use as well as the larger gauge combs. Grease tends to clog them making it harder to process the fibers.

What to use to wash fleece? (in this section I have drawn on several differing places. I have sited all information that is not my own.)

This is a debated topic in all of the circles I have traveled since starting this project. I decided to gather all of the data…and there was a lot of it, so I have limited the citations to just a few. Everyone has their own way of cleaning fleece. Read this and pick your own.

Continue reading

Monday 8/18/13 update

Greenland Gown Project

Hi everyone!

I do hope your weekend was a good one. Mine was about average.

So to update the project…

Last week was really spent on researching the next paper. I have waded through a couple of sources I have, sent out a list of terms to contacts that know Old Icelandic/Old Norse, updated and released some new downloads, and mulled over a portion of the project that will have to be started again from scratch.

On that part, I will have a good amount of material to share with any interested in the yarns we have made to date.

I am in the process as I type this of researching and writing the blog post for this week. It will be posted later today or first thing in the morning and I know it will not